Monday, July 04, 2005

A "B" Movie Actor


Just read If Chins Could Kill: Confessions of a B Movie Actor by Bruce Campbell. A wonderfully warped childhood (two older brothers) and a wacky group of friends in high school who obsessively made Super-8 films created one of the most widely known (and unknown) faces in film.

I was pretty much tied down to watch Evil Dead a few years ago -- gads! I'm not sure how much I remember, since I watched it from behind a sofa cushion, but it sure was....interesting.

Anyway -- that group of friends is still making movies. Sam Raimi (director of the Spiderman films, producer of the Herc & Xena franchise...) and his brother, Ted Raimi (Joxer in the Xena series), Josh Becker (director of some of the Herc & Xena stuff), Scott Spiegel (writer of Evil Dead II and Dusk till Dawn II), and John Cameron (wow, busy!) all seem to be still calling on each other for help in all their projects.

The point being that I really enjoy Campbell whenever I see him in a movie -- he's got a 'bigness' to his personality that shines no matter how small the role, and a magnetic delivery. The big stars probably hate being with them, as that chin often steals the scene.

Lori

1 comment:

Norlinda said...

I love Campbell. He kinda reminds me of a more restrained, a more prudish version of Jim Carrey whom I also adore. Have you seen "Bubba Ho-Tep" where Campbell plays an aging Elvis living in a senior's home? Neither have I but it's a classic Campbell role--campy, over-the-top but it gets your attention.