Saturday, August 05, 2006

And now for some local news...

I was reminded last night that I still have blog visitors who come for news of me...surprisingly, I'm a terrible email correspondant when it's social.

So, here's a bit of an update.

It's 6:08 a.m. Saturday morning as I write this. Metro and I are up at this ridiculous hour because it is Market day! I'm still the manager of the local Farmers' Market, and my sweet husband gets up every Saturday morning to help me put up the barricades on the street. I don't actually need his help, but I appreciate it.

The Market is a hoot -- every week I get to block off the street, and in come my vendors. Most of them are regulars and know exactly where to set up. Every week I have a mini event to produce, which means a lot of emails and phone calls during the week, some planning, some marketing...

I'm also applying to other jobs around town. Ideally, I was looking for other part-time work that was meaningful...I applied to Big Brothers Big Sisters for example. As a receptionist. Okay, so that's not really me.

Instead, tomorrow, I'm starting a few shifts a week at Staples...I love stationery, so why not? I'm there all the time anyway, doing photocopies for the Market, browsing -- why not get a 15% discount?

I applied for a juicy Fed job too...ain't crossing my fingers for that one.

We've moved into our new house. It needs a number of small things done -- nothing is ever perfect when you buy. But it is amazing to suddenly find myself utterly comfortable in this new space. I'm happy, Metro's happy, the cats are happy.

Socially, all is well. We know people in town, we're starting to make friends, and my family lives 40 minutes away...that's driving 3 towns away, not across Vancouver. Wow. I hadn't really thought of that before. I used to take the Skytrain to work, 40 minutes door-t- door, without batting an eye. Now, it's a longish trip to visit Mom...

More later. Gotta go.

[For other updates, check my blogroll. General wackiness: Nag. Political commentary: Metro. Pop-culture: 30-something. A squid-tastic nuttiness: raincoaster. And of course, Lebanon updates: Cold Desert.]

Lori

No comments: