Monday, August 20, 2007

Time to upgrade my French!!

'Tis time! I work for the Government of Canada, and I happened to mention to my supervisor today that I would be interested in upgrading/testing my French...

5 minutes later, I'm asked "How would you like to handle this agreement?" My co-worker says, "Hey, isn't that one in French?!?"

Gulp.

Okay, I'll be honest. I don't mind, really, because I need extrinsic motivation to learn a language.

Like, being dumped headfirst into a situation where I need it. Kindergarten at a French Catholic school. High school in Brazil.

A French agreement at work.

Just don't forget to test me for my bilingual pay increase -- soon!

Lori

5 comments:

The Nag said...

I recall that when we met in France your command of the language was very good. Wish mine was.

Lori Dunn said...

Thanks, Nag. [Did you like writing that phrase, "when we met in France"?] What I need is vocabulary and confidence.

Anonymous said...

When? France I mean. Did you have a fr. test when you first applied?

Lori said...

The Nag and I met in France when I first went, in the spring of 2002, I think. Met on a train to Chartres, she and Mr. Nag and I had the most glorious lunch together....

And no, I wasn't hired for a bilingual position, so I didn't take a French test. I've informed my supervisor that at one point I'd like to be tested for future positions.

Anonymous said...

I remember - The fastest trip plan ever! That's neat. Back in the day, everyone applying federally had to write the second language test. We were told not to try too hard (that's not my excuse!)because we would get our course and time paid for if we flunked. Furthermore: "Don't worry, you'll never need to use it." Talkin' bout my gener-ation!