Sunday, March 01, 2009

Book Mayhem


I'm torn...I'm appalled to see this happen to books, but also envious, wishing I could stop by for a rummage:

Thousands in scramble for free books after Amazon supplier abandons warehouse

The warehouse, whose lease recently ran out, once contained as many as five million books destined to be sold online.

After the lease expired, he firm running the secondhand book business moved out, leaving it full of books.

Managers of the industrial estate invited people to help themselves so they can free up space at the site.

Do I wish I could be involved in this feeding frenzy? Of course. Would I still be appalled at the cavalier treatment of the books if I were there? Probably not. I'd be hunting for my own treasures.

Ah well. It's too bad I can't join the madness, but I'm sure my husband is pleased!

Lori

5 comments:

The Nag said...

There is a huge remaindered book depot in St. Catharines. I am drawn to it like a moth to a flame despite my bulging bookcases; as addictions go I suppose it's relatively benign. A couple of times a year their already rock bottom prices are reduced and a similar pandemonium ensues. I am usually part of the frenzied mob.

Lori said...

I so hear you, Nag.

That beautiful word...BOOK. So visually round, so verbally succinct...hard to resist.

I almost bought a water-proof book today because I could. "I might need reading material in the hot tub..."

Anonymous said...

Ahhhhh... wish I could have been there. Also wish I was in St. Catharines with The Nag. Having just moved, I know for a fact I have 17 boxes' worth of books... and the collection grows.

Anonymous said...

The verification word for this comment is "boock" ... ha!

Now I forgot what I was going to say.

Lori said...

@PJ
Only 17 boxes? Ha! I had at least 23 on the last move! :-)

@azahar
"Now I forgot what I was going to say."
That's pretty damn funny. :-)